Friday, March 20, 2009

After twilight.

I awoke this morning to find an email announcing the midnight Twilight DVD release party that will be taking place at my local Borders store this Saturday. Nothing like a bunch of goth kids crowding a book store on a Saturday night, swapping vampire fantasies. Apparently, the party starts at 10pm, and the DVD will "officially" be released at midnight. I erased the email quickly so as to not seem like a Twilight freak if someone at the law school happened to hack into my gmail account today and come across the party announcement. Now, I have to admit I got totally sucked in (no pun intended) by the books (thanks, sister), but I just can't understand the movie craziness. I mean, are these kids who probably saw the movie more than once when it was in theaters really going to collect their shrink wrapped copies at midnight, then have their parents pick them up at their local Borders, and go home and watch the thing before bed? Maybe it's all about the lasting friendships that will be formed during those two hours - the black nailpolish that will be shared and the fake fangs that will be passed back and forth among the group of teenagers as they froth at the mouth.

(Good thing I'm hopping on a plane to Boston tomorrow morning; my absence from town Saturday night has saved me from actually deciding how early to show up to this thing to ensure I get a cool Twilight bracelet.)

Moving on. Yes, I am jetting off to Boston tomorrow. Joy to spring break! If only I remembered how to dress in 40-degree weather, my suitcase might not weigh 70lbs. I must sleep now, so as to best prepare myself for five hours of in-flight television (go Virgin America), but one last thought before I go: E! needs to find a new late-night movie to air. I've seen parts of Happy Gilmore every day for the past week. And while I am now strangely confident in my ability to sweep the fairways with the entire roster of LPGA ladies, I have finally reached the point where Bob Barker doesn't even make me laugh anymore. Sigh.

Horrifying postscript: I googled "twilight," and one of the "searches related to twilight" suggestions that came up at the bottom of the page was "blood and chocolate." Gosh, I hope that's a book title. I am thoroughly repulsed.

No comments:

Post a Comment