Friday, May 15, 2009

On the road.

Goodbye, LA. Last night Awesomeness (and fiancee), Hollywood (formerly "LA Friend"), and I went out for fantastic sushi as my last dinner in Los Angeles. Awesomeness ate his weight in some sort of baked roll, Hollywood noticed a famous person sitting at the table next to us (Skeet Ulrich, of Scream fame, apparently...oh, and he drives a mini cooper), and I had a California roll. Pretty standard. Pretty perfect. Turns out I am going to miss LA (or at least my friends there).

It took pops and me about two hours to pack Otto up this morning, but miraculously everything somehow fit, and we were off! We drove about 500 miles today, stopping in a tiny town (if you can call a gas station, a visitor's center, and a diner a "town") along historic Route 66. Oddly, the visitor's center was closed by the time we got there, but there was some sort of tourist group (I think/hope that's what they were) gathered around a man showing off dead desert animals and explaining what they were. He had some snake skins and dead arachnids, and he didn't have an Australian accent, so needless to say he was pretty weird. But he totally had a captive audience in the tourist group/lonely locals/whoever they were. Good times.

We managed to navigate around the highway crossing elk and ended up in Flagstaff, AZ for our first night of lodging. Pops, undoubtedly impressed by my superior taste in music, asked me to grace his ipod with some of my sweet tunes. My pleasure- anything to not have to listen to talk radio. We actually found some pretty great oldies and country music stations out here, though, and pops promised me a record turntable when I get my new apartment, so I'm a happy camper. Tomorrow it's Sedona (really pretty town where everything is red) and then off to Santa Fe!

No comments:

Post a Comment