Saturday, April 25, 2009

I would be a horrible paparrazo.

The other night Shmind and I were dining at this great place in West Hollywood called Cafe Med. The menu is extensive, the portions are humongous, and the patio heat lamps are pumped up to the max. When I walked in to find Shmind donning a goofy grin and eagerly texting away on her crackberry, I knew something was up. I approached the table and she mouthed to me, "turn to your right!" (You may wonder how one can mouth an exclamation. It's all about the eyes. Go ahead, try it in a mirror.) I turned my head to the right, expecting to see Britney or Brangelina, but alas, all I saw was a man with long blond hair and grossly red dried out skin. I looked at him and his table for a while longer than I should have, trying to fit any of them into my somewhat limited mental bank of celebrities before deciding he must be some famous chef I've never heard of or seen since I don't watch Top Chef or Hell's Kitchen. I turned back and Shmind whispered, "You don't know who that is?" I said no, and she said, "But you were born in the 80's!" (Shmind is just a few years older than me, also an 80's baby.) "Have you ever heard of Fabio?" Of course I've heard of Fabio! Who could forget the bird in the face on the roller coaster incident? I should have known with the long blond hair. But this Fabio was about 20 years older than any Fabio I'd ever seen, so I was thrown off. Then I felt like an idiot for having squinted in his direction for longer than I should have. He probably thought I was checking him out. Gross.

So I have decided to live at my parents' house on Long Island this summer as I study for the bar. I am pretty pumped despite the fact that my room there is overflowing with clothing and I have to somehow fit my entire LA apartment into that room. Living there means a fully stocked refrigerator, a world class collection of DVDs, and zero rent payments. Wahoo! Additionally, we are totally bringing back the 80's (a style which I, as you should know by now, absolutely love) in that brother, sister, and I will all be living under that roof. Ha, it's going to be quite a summer. Oh, and since the shift to a summer on Long Island gives me one more week before the bar course begins, Pops and I are going to drive Otto (mi coche) back to NY! While it won't be nearly as crazy a drive as my east to west adventure with Small Asian Friend, my dad is actually a cool guy (when he's not making me listen to talk radio), so I'm rather excited.

In other news, Subway is no longer offering its $5 footlongs. Major bummer.

In more exciting news, I recently purchased a ticket for next fall's Austin City Limits. I've never been to Austin, TX. I've never been to a 3-day music festival. Needless to say, I am stoked beyond belief. The lineup hasn't been announced yet, but rumored to be performing among the 120 or so bands are Kings of Leon, Pearl Jam, DMB, Most Def, John Legend, and Beastie Boys. Wowweee! Small Asian Friend, Roomie, and I are all set for three days of hippie/hipster/music-lover indulgence. Now all I have to do is study for and take finals, graduate, drive back to NY, study for and take the bar, and then I'm free!

I took my first-ever spin class yesterday and totally loved it. Unfortunately, my bony bottom is so sore today I can barely sit on my excessively padded desk chair. I think if I continue to attend spin classes I'm going to have to invest in a pair of those padded biker shorts. I always thought those were for pansies. But really, why can't they make bike seats a bit more padded? The bike I had as a kid was awesome- the seat was like a couch cushion. Perhaps that's the problem. I was so spoiled as a child, I never built up the resistance I needed to ride a real person bike. I guess I am officially a pansy.

1 comment:

  1. The ACL lineup has officially been announced! Check it out: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2009/04/acl_austin_city.html#more

    ReplyDelete