Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ok, for real this time.

Here's a list of things I have done since I last wrote:

- London and back
- Boston/Maine and back
- Westchester to meet new Baby Cuz (love at first sight)
- High Holy Day #1
- Got cable and internet (and the cable even works sometimes)
- Decided to be '80s every day by getting bangs (see facebook for proof)
- LA and back
- High Holy Day #2
- Saw FAME remake and was inspired to learn how to dance (similar to inspiration following viewings of Centerstage, Step Up, and Step Up 2 The Streets)
- Austin for ACL (most amazing weekend ever) and back

Now that that's out of the way, I can share the most important news. Two words: Girl Talk. He is this absolutely fantastic (that word is wildly underdescriptive of this talent, but I am at a loss for something more accurate) DJ that Small Asian Friend, Roomie, and I (and about 5,000 other people) saw during ACL. At first I was skeptical, wondering how a DJ would be able to compete with all the live bands present at the festival. But this guy is a complete genius - pairing current dance rap with 70s and 80s-tastic rock ballads, keeping the beats consistent throughout. There's nothing I can say but genius. Oh, and this: http://www.myspace.com/girltalk Check him out!

Also, I love Texas. I bought a pair of real, official, authentic cowboy boots. Did I mention they're from Texas? That means they're the real thing. They couldn't charge that much for anything other than the real thing, right? They're just amazing. And the Austin nightlife is pretty crazy. Granted, we only made it to one bar the entire time we were there, but there were plenty to choose from. We certainly didn't want for alcohol, though, with all those double beers being sold left and right. Roomie and SAF were in denial about the whole double beer thing and scolded me when I mentioned their having six beers in one afternoon. They decided to count beers based on the number of cans they opened rather than the number of ounces they drank. Hey, whatever works. All I'm saying is I had a double Tecate and it was pretty gross. ACL, next year I recommend double cans of cider. I won't even be particular about which type. Maybe there are some hidden cider mills somewhere in Texas. You know, down by the Mexico border. Yeah, I'm sure you guys could work out a deal.

I will close with a few additional non-headliner ACL highlights:
- John Legend
- Dr. Dog
- Airborne Toxic Event
- Avett Brothers
- Bon Iver
- The Virgins

Oh yeah, and Lily Allen, I'm mad at you for not attending.

Addendum: As a future lawyer, I feel obliged to note that while Girl Talk undoubtedly makes a fine DJ, he is an affront to copyright law. I'm really not sure how he can possibly argue that his clips constitute fair use, but apparently he's serious in his contention. Check out a severely outdated article on the subject here here.

No comments:

Post a Comment